The following dates list the deadlines and duties that are performed by county officers and clerks in respect to the annual property assessment.
- January 2 is the annual assessment date for both real and personal property.
- February 1 is the last day for taxpayers to file exemption from taxation with the county assessor.
- The county treasurer will be mailing tax statements to owners of real and personal property, except manufactured housing on or before March 31st.
March, April, May
- The county assessor will be mailing market value notices to all property owners at least 10 days prior to the meeting of the local board of appeal and equalization during the months of March, April, and May.
- April 1 Local boards of appeal and equalization meetings will be held between April 1st and May 31st.
- April 30 is the last day for a taxpayer to file a tax court petition relating to the objection of current taxes on real or personal property.
- May 15 is the last day to pay first half of real property taxes without penalty.
- May 15 is the last day to pay either the total amount of personal property taxes or the first half of personal property taxes on property without penalty.
- May 29 is the last day for owners of manufactured homes assessed as personal property to establish their homestead and to apply for homestead treatment with the county assessor.
- The County Board of Appeal and Equalization will be convening during the last 10 meeting days of June after the second Friday. The times and dates are contained on the market valuation notices.
- July 1 is the date by which some taxable property becomes exempt and some exempt property becomes taxable for that year's assessment if it is acquired or used differently by certain entities.
- July 1 is the last day for senior citizens to file for the senior citizen property tax deferral program for taxes payable in the following year.
- July 15 The county treasurer will be mailing tax statements to owners of manufactured homes on or before July 15th.
- August 15 is the last day for taxpayers to file for the Property Tax Refund, Form M-1PR.
- August 31 is the last day to pay the first half of personal property taxes on manufactured homes without penalty.
- September 1 is the last day for a taxpayer to file a petition with the tax court regarding the valuation of taxes of manufactured homes assessed as personal property.
- October 1 is the last day for persons who are either blind or permanently and totally disabled to apply to the Assessor's Office for the special homestead classification.
- October 15 is the last day to pay second half real property taxes of all classes of real property and personal property, except for class 1b, 2a and 2b agricultural properties without penalty.
- November 15 is the last day to pay second half real estate taxes on class 1b, 2a and 2b agricultural properties and second half personal property taxes on manufactured housing without penalty.
- November 24 The county auditor will be mailing notices of proposed taxes (TNT Notices) to taxpayers on or before November 24th.
- November 29 Local and county taxing authorities will be holding public hearings between November 29th and December 20th to adopt final budgets and property tax levies for the following year. The times and dates are contained on the TNT Notices.
- December 1 is the last day for owners of real property to establish their homestead for the current year. Homestead applications must be filed with the county assessor on or before December 15th in order to qualify for the current year's assessment.
Click here for the MN Department of Revenue Calendar with more details.