Report ANY suspected child abuse in Sibley County by calling (507)237-4000
- 1 in 4 girls will be sexually assaulted before the age of 18
- 1 in 6 boys will be a victim of sexual assault before reaching 18.
- Only 1 in 10 child victims will disclose abuse. Most children do not disclose abuse until adulthood, if at all.
- 95% of victims know their perpetrators.
- Younger children (ages 0 - 6) are the most vulnerable to abuse.
What You Can Do: Reach Out!
Anything you do to support kids and parents can help reduce the stress that often leads to abuse and neglect.
Be a friend to a parent you know. Ask how their children are doing. Draw on your own experiences to provide reassurance and support. If a parent seems to be struggling, offer to baby-sit or run errands, or just lend a friendly ear. Show you understand.
Be a friend to a child you know. Remember their names. Smile when you talk with them. Ask them about their day at school. Send them a card in the mail. Show you care.
Talk to your neighbors about looking out for one another's children. Encourage a supportive spirit among parents in your apartment building or on your block. Show that you are involved.
Give your used clothing, furniture, and toys for use by another family. This can help relieve the stress of financial burdens that parents sometimes take out on their kids.
Volunteer your time and money for programs in your community that support children and families, like parent support groups or day care centers.