Planning and Zoning follows the Sibley County Zoning Ordinances (Article 300) and Sibley County Subdivision Ordinances (Article 320) to administer regulations pertaining to building permits, conducting public hearings on zoning requests (new homes, new sites; temporary dwellings, riding stables, kennels, ag remote structures, towers, hunting shacks, etc.)
Planning & Zoning is also responsible for receiving/investigating environmental complaints and violation enforcement.
- Planning and Zoning works closely with the 17 townships in Sibley County; with Faxon Township and Jessenland Township having their own Planning & Zoning Commission and being the first point of contact for permitting in these townships.
NEW PROCESS FOR BUILDING PERMIT APPLICATION
Effective April 2, 2018 A new process will be implemented for the following:
• Land Use Application
• Setback Certificate
• Variance Application
• Conditional Use Application
The steps to apply for any of the 4 items listed above will be as follows:
1. The owner/applicant will fill out the ‘Zoning Request’ form and turn into the Property Assessing & Zoning Department. This from is available online. OR the owner/applicant can call the Zoning Administrator for assistance in filling out the form. THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL APPLICATION. There is NO fee due at this step.
2. Sibley County Zoning will review the request form typically within 1 week. If all the necessary information is provided, the Zoning Department will prepare the proper application according to the information provided on the request form. The applicant will then be notified to come into the office to sign the application and pay the applicable fee.
PLEASE NOTE: The Property Owner’s signature is required on the application.
3. Upon receiving the property owner’s signature and fee, Sibley County Zoning will issue the land use application or setback certificate OR work with the owner/applicant to arrange the necessary meetings for a variance or conditional use hearing.
Note: There are no changes to the process for septic systems. This will continue as it currently is.
Zoning Request Form
2018 Sibley County Planning & Zoning Committees
2018 Sibley County Planning & Zoning Application Deadline/Meeting Schedule
Zoning and Setbacks
Article 300 Zoning Ordinance
Article 320 Subdivision Ordinance
Faxon Township Planning & Zoning Commission
22375 Crahan Lane
Belle Plaine, MN 56011
Jessenland Township Planning & Zoning Commission
(click to follow link to Jessenland Township Planning & Zoning website)
P.O. Box 26
Belle Plaine, MN 56011