Driver's License

Come see us at the License Center to apply for or renew your driver's license or identification card!

Proof of Citizenship for CDL Renewals Change Effective July 1, 2015

Beginning July 1, 2015, all drivers renewing their CDL will be required to provide a document from the following list that meets the proof of citizenship requirement.

Valid, unexpired U.S. passport or passport card
Certified copy of birth certificate from any U.S. state
Consular report of birth abroad issued by the U.S. Department or state
Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship issued by U.S. Department of Homeland Security
Valid unexpired Permanent Resident Card
Unexpired employment authorization document issued by USCIS or an unexpired foreign passport accompanied by an approved I-94 form.
If the name on the above document is different from the current name on the CDL, the customer must also present proof of the legal name change(s). Acceptable proof consists of certified marriage certificates, certified divorce decrees or other certified court orders. Divorce decrees or other court orders must specify the name change. Identity and name change documents need to show a clear link between the citizenship or permanent residency document and the current name.

This federally mandated requirement for DVS to record this information to the record is a one-time occurrence.