Hazardous Materials Endorsement

The United States Transportation Security Administration (TSA) implemented this program to meet the requirements of the USA Patriot Act, which prohibits states from issuing a hazardous materials endorsement (HME) on a commercial driver's license (CDL) until TSA determines whether or not an applicant poses a security risk.

Who needs an HME?
Anyone who transports materials found to be hazardous for the purpose of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and that require the motor vehicle to be placarded under Code of Federal Regulations, title 49, parts 100-185.

How do I get an HME?
1. Take and pass the HME knowledge test at a driver exam station.
2. Apply for or renew the Commercial Driver's License.
4. Submit your fingerprints at an authorized collection site.
If you have an existing HME and no longer want the HME or don't qualify, make a written statement to that effect when you renew your CDL.