An appointment is required for all car seat services. To make an appointment,
contact Sibley County Public Health & Human Services at (507) 237-4000.
"When is it safe to use the seat belt alone?"
Use the 6 step test to determine if your child is ready to use the lap/shoulder belt without a booster seat:
- Does the child sit all the way back against the vehicle seat?
- Do your child's knees bend comfortable over the edge of the vehicle seat?
- Does the seat belt cross the shoulder between the neck and the arm?
- Is the lap belt as low as possible, touching the thighs, not across the abdomen?
- Do their feet touch the floor of the vehicle?
- Can your child stay seated like this for the entire ride?
If you answer "NO" to any of these questions, your child still needs a booster seat with the lap/shoulder safety belt.
Free Car Seat Fitting Station
This free service, available to anyone living in Sibley County, gives parents an opportunity to have their child's safety seat checked for proper usage and installation.
Car Seat Distribution Program
South Country Health Alliance (SCHA) will provide a car seat to women who are pregnant and children under 7 years of age who have not received a car seat from SCHA in the past. SCHA must be the current health insurance provider. SCHA does not provide infant carrier car seats.
UCare will provide a car seat to women who are at least six months pregnant and to children through age 8. Convertible and booster seats are available. Infant carrier seats are not available through UCare.
Education on how to properly install and use the car seat will be provided.
Visit the following websites for more information on car seat safety: