| A FREE healthy home assessment is available to you. During the assessment, we'll look at the SEVEN PRINCIPLES OF HEALTHY HOMES and develop a safe and healthy living environment. Households that participate in an assessment may be eligible to receive supplies and/or resources.
For further information call 507-237-4000.
Seven Principles of Healthy Homes
1) DRY - damp houses provide a nurturing environment for mites, roaches, rodents and molds, all of which are associated with asthma.
2) Clean - clean homes help reduce pest infestations and exposure to contaminants.
3) Pest-free - recent studies show a causal relationship between exposure to mice and cockroaches and asthma episodes in children; yet inappropriate treatment for pest infestations can exacerbate health problems, since pesticide residues in homes pose risks for neurological damage and cancer.
4) Safe - the majority of injuries among children occur in the home. Falls are the most frequent cause of residential injuries to children, followed by injuries from objects in the home, burns and poisonings.
5) Contaminant-Free - chemical exposures include lead, radon, pesticides, volatile organic compounds, and environmental tobacco smoke. Exposures to asbestos particles, radon gas, carbon monoxide, and second-hand tobacco smoke are far higher indoors than outside.
6) Ventilated - studies show that increasing the fresh air supply in a home improves respiratory health.
7) Maintained - poorly-maintained homes are at risk for moisture and pest problems. Deteriorated lead-based paint in older housing is the primary cause of lead poisoning, which affects 240,000 children in the U.S.